Interior design is constantly evolving, with new trends and styles always emerging. This is especially true in Atlanta, a city known for its vibrant culture and diverse neighborhoods. To stay on top of the latest design trends, we have some of the top Atlanta interior designers in Atlanta share their insights on what’s hot in the world of interior design. Read on to learn some amazing design tips!
In our latest blog, we’ll share some of the top design tips from our in-office experts, covering everything from sustainable materials and natural elements to maximizing small spaces and creating cohesive color schemes.
Whether you’re planning a complete home renovation or just looking to update a few rooms, these tips will help you create a beautiful and functional space that reflects your personal style and the unique character of Atlanta.
Beautiful Design Tips To Consider In 2023
Incorporate Sustainable Materials
Sustainability is becoming increasingly crucial in interior design styles as homeowners look for ways to make their homes more environmentally friendly and reduce their carbon footprint. One of the best ways to achieve this is by incorporating sustainable materials into your home’s design.
Sustainable materials are those that are responsibly sourced, produced, and can be easily recycled or repurposed. These materials include reclaimed wood, bamboo, cork, and natural fibers like linen, hemp, and cotton.
These materials not only have a lower environmental impact than traditional materials but also bring a unique texture, character, and warmth to a space.
When incorporating sustainable materials into your home, it’s essential to consider the function of the space and the materials you’re using. For example, reclaimed wood can create a rustic, warm feel in a living room, while bamboo can create a more modern and minimalist look in a bedroom.
Here are a few tips on how to incorporate sustainable materials into your home:
- Start small: Incorporating sustainable materials doesn’t have to be an all-or-nothing proposition. Consider starting with minor changes, like swapping out traditional light fixtures for ones made from reclaimed wood or using sustainable textiles for throw pillows or curtains.
- Think about function: Sustainable materials can be used in various ways, depending on the function of the space. For example, cork flooring is an excellent option for a kitchen or bathroom because it’s water-resistant and durable, while reclaimed wood can create a warm, rustic feel in a living room or bedroom.
- Balance old and new: While sustainable materials can add a lot of character to a space, it’s important to balance them with more modern elements to create a cohesive look. For example, pairing reclaimed wood furniture with sleek, contemporary lighting can help balance old and new.
Mixing Patterns and Textures
Mixing patterns and textures is a great way to add interest and depth to a room, creating a layered and visually exciting space. This trend can be seen in the use of different fabrics, such as velvet and linen, and the combination of various patterns and textures, such as stripes and polka dots.
When mixing patterns and textures, the key is finding a balance between different elements. This can be achieved by choosing a color palette that ties everything together and playing with scale and proportion.
Here are a few tips on how to mix patterns and textures effectively in your home:
- Start with a neutral base: A neutral color palette, such as white, beige, or gray, can be a great starting point when mixing patterns and textures. This allows you to add pops of color and interest through different patterns and textures without overwhelming the space.
- Experiment with scale: Playing with scale and proportion can help create a sense of balance when mixing patterns and textures. For example, pairing a large-scale pattern with a small-scale pattern can help create a sense of harmony.
- Add texture: Textures can add depth and interest to a space. Consider adding different textures through materials such as wool, cashmere, and leather, or through textured wall treatments such as shiplap or beadboard.
Creating A Cohesive Color Scheme
A cohesive color scheme is essential in creating a harmonious and visually pleasing space. A well-designed color scheme can set the tone and mood of a room and help tie different elements of a space together.
There are many different color schemes that can be used in interior design, including monochromatic, analogous, and complementary. A monochromatic color scheme uses different shades and tints of the same color, creating a cohesive and harmonious space.
An analogous color scheme uses colors next to each other on the color wheel, creating a harmonious and balanced space. A complementary color scheme uses colors opposite each other on the color wheel, creating a high-contrast and dynamic space.
Here are a few tips on how to create a cohesive color scheme in your own home:
- Start with a neutral base: A neutral color palette, such as white, beige, or gray, can be a great starting point when creating a cohesive color scheme. This allows you to add pops of color and interest through different patterns and textures without overwhelming the space.
- Experiment with different color schemes: Try different color schemes, such as monochromatic, analogous, and complementary, to see which one works best for your space and personal style.
- Add layers of color: Use different shades, tints, and tones of the same color to add depth and interest to your space.
- Use color to create focal points: Use color to create focal points in your space, such as a statement wall or colorful piece of furniture
Incorporating Natural Elements
Incorporating natural elements into interior design is a growing trend that can bring a sense of warmth, serenity, and connection to the outdoors into any space. From wood and stone to plants and natural fibers, there are many ways to bring nature’s beauty into your home.
One popular way to incorporate natural elements is using natural wood. From flooring and furniture to accents and decor, wood can bring a sense of warmth and texture to a space. Another way to incorporate natural elements is by using stone, such as marble, granite, or slate.
Stone can add a sense of luxury and elegance and can be used in various ways, such as countertops and backsplashes or as an accent on a fireplace.
Plants are another popular way to bring natural elements into a space. Indoor plants can purify the air, improve mood, and add visual interest. Natural fibers such as wool, cotton, and linen are also great ways to bring natural elements into your home. These materials can be used in various ways, such as in rugs, curtains, and upholstery.
Here are a few tips on how to incorporate natural elements into your own home:
- Use natural wood for warmth and texture: Wood can be used in various ways, such as flooring, furniture, and decor.
- Bring in natural stone for luxury and elegance: Stone can be used in various ways, such as countertops, backsplashes, and as an accent on a fireplace.
- Add plants for purification and visual interest: Indoor plants can purify the air, improve mood, and add visual interest.
- Use natural fibers for warmth and comfort: Natural fibers, such as wool, cotton, and linen, can be used in various ways, such as in rugs, curtains, and upholstery.
Maximizing Small Spaces
In a city where space can be at a premium, it’s essential to make the most of every square foot. One way to do this is by maximizing small spaces through smart design choices.
There are many ways to make a small space feel larger and more functional. One of the most effective ways is multipurpose furniture and smart storage solutions. For example, a bed with built-in storage underneath can help free up floor space, while a dining table that can be folded down when not in use can help create more room for other activities.
Another way to make a small space feel larger is by using light and color effectively. Light-colored paint, mirrors, and ample natural light can help create the illusion of a larger space, while strategic use of color can create the illusion of depth and dimension.
Here are a few tips on how to maximize small spaces in your home:
- Think multipurpose: Look for furniture that serves more than one purpose, such as a sofa bed, storage ottomans, or a coffee table with hidden storage.
- Use color and light wisely: Use light-colored paint, mirrors, and natural light to make a small space feel larger. Also, strategic use of color can create the illusion of depth and dimension.
- Make the most of vertical space: Vertical space is often overlooked, but it can be a great way to create more storage in a small space. Use shelves, hanging organizers, and other vertical storage solutions to free up floor space.
Merge Home excels at incorporating the latest design trends into your home and can help create a stylish and functional space. From the use of bold patterns and textures to the incorporation of natural elements, there are many ways to create a unique space that reflects your personal style.
By following the tips and advice shared by our top Atlanta interior designers, you can create a home that is both beautiful and functional. Whether you want to make a small change or a complete overhaul, the key is to be bold, creative, and, most importantly, true to yourself. With a little planning and inspiration, you can create a home that you will love for years to come. Give us a call today to learn more!